Despite all my planning to the contrary my afternoon went to hell the other day. Roughly 15 patients in 2.5 hours and I managed to keep almost everyone of them waiting close to an hour. Here's the run down:
- 1 person forgot to take antibiotics prior to a procedure -- had to wait an hour
- 1 person forgot their appointment and showed up in the afternoon
- 2 emergency patients
- Tried to fill 2 open slots, left messages for 3 or 4 patients and asked them to call us if they could come earlier. Two did without calling.
- Not enough rooms so everyone got shuffled back and forth
- Business matters -- took too much time on paperwork and let one person wait which snowballed
In situations like this I'm reminded of Principle #4 of Toyota;
"Work like the tortoise, not the hare"